Jewelry Care Guide
Movado’s exclusive jewelry collection is crafted using the finest materials to create iconic modern designs. Our pieces are designed to combine the best of contemporary style with the quality and durability to withstand regular wear with proper care.
Unbeatable shine and durability. Our jewelry designs use 925 sterling silver, an alloy consisting of 92.5% silver with copper, which has been found to be its best companion. Pure silver is too soft, malleable, and easily damaged to hold up to daily wear, so it is combined with copper to improve its hardness and durability without affecting its beautiful color.
- All sterling silver jewelry will tarnish—or oxidize—over time as it reacts with chemicals in the air around us, especially Sulphur.
- Wearing your silver jewelry often is the best way to prevent tarnish because the oils in your skin help to keep it from oxidizing faster. Even if not worn on a daily basis, proper care will allow your fine quality silver piece to last a lifetime.
- If your piece becomes heavily tarnished, remove it with warm water, mild soap and a clean, soft cotton or flannel cloth, a special sterling silver cleaning cloth or a very soft-bristle brush like a baby toothbrush. We do not recommend silver polish or dip-style cleaning solutions.
- Avoid salt water, air pollutants, household chemicals or everyday items that contain sulfur, such as leather, rubber, and chlorine.
- Make sure to apply perfume, hairspray, or deodorant before your jewelry as these products may damage the finish.
- Remove your silver jewelry before swimming or using household cleaning products.
- To minimize scratches and other damage, store your silver jewelry either in a cloth pouch or in a separate compartment in your jewelry box.
14k Gold Vermeil
14k gold vermeil is the best of all worlds—the luxurious look of solid gold, the affordable cost of sterling silver and more durability than standard gold-plating. Our vermeil is comprised of a 2.5 micron-thick layer of gold over a base metal of sterling silver. We take every effort to ensure that the gold used in our designs comes from suppliers who can certify that their gold is conflict-free.
- To clean your gold vermeil jewelry, buff gently with a soft, dry 100% cotton microfiber cloth. If the piece is especially dirty, wash it with a small amount of gentle dish soap or non-chemical soap and warm water, rinse it well and allow to dry on a cloth or paper towel before buffing. Never use chemical cleaners on 14k gold vermeil jewelry – it can strip the gold finish.
- Remove your vermeil jewelry when bathing, swimming, exercising, or cleaning. Exposure to water, high heats, household cleaning products or chlorine can permanently damage or discolor the gold layer.
- Apply perfume, hairspray, or deodorant before wearing your jewelry as certain chemicals in these products may damage the finish.
- To minimize scratches and damage, store your jewelry in a cloth pouch or a separate compartment in your jewelry box.
The height of luxury, our 14k gold has a rich, warm gleam that speaks to its quality. Like silver, pure gold is too soft for regular wear we use a beautiful, durable gold alloy, which will not tarnish or discolor and is resistant to scratches. We take every effort to ensure that the gold used in our designs comes from suppliers who can certify that their gold is conflict-free.
- To clean your 14k solid gold piece, scrub it lightly with a soft-bristled brush using warm water and detergent-free soap, then, buff gently with a clean cloth.
- When not in use, we recommend storing these pieces in a safe, dry place to protect them against the elements.
Sleek and sophisticated with a modern edge. Our ceramic designs combine ultra-contemporary style with extraordinary durability.
- Clean your ceramic jewelry with warm soapy water and a soft cloth.
- This material can be damaged if exposed to a direct flame or harsh chemicals, such as perfume and nail polish remover.
- Ceramic may scratch, so treat your pieces with care.
- Please note that ceramic pieces can crack if dropped.
This innovative technique lends a sleek, black look to modern designs. Our jewelry designs feature a durable ruthenium finish over high-quality 925 sterling silver.
- To clean your piece, use a gentle dish soap or non-chemical soap and warm water, rinse well then pat dry with soft cloth.
For dazzling shine, there’s nothing quite like diamonds. All the diamonds used in our pieces are conflict-free and sourced from certified sustainable suppliers. The diamonds we use in our jewelry pieces are brilliant cut with SI2 clarity and H/I color.
- To clean your diamond jewelry, soak in tepid water with a drop of gentle dish soap and use a soft brush to reach behind the stone then wipe with soft, pure cotton cloth.
- For an extra sparkle, a drop of ammonia can be added to rinse water when cleaning diamonds set in gold.
- Although diamonds are the hardest mineral, they are not indestructible and should still be treated with care to prevent chipping and abrasion.
- We recommend placing diamonds in a separate compartment of your jewelry box or in a soft bag to avoid scratching the metal and stones in other pieces.
The rich, iridescent luster of pearls is unmistakable and timelessly elegant. We use freshwater pearls in our designs. Pearls improve with wear, as the natural oils of your skin help renew the nacre of the stone—improving their shine.
- To clean pearls, wash with gentle dish soap and a soft cloth, then rinse in clean water and wrap in a thin, damp cotton towel to dry.
- After wearing, wipe pearls with a damp cloth and store in a dark, cool place. To avoid scratching, store pearls separately in a cloth pouch.
- Pearls are delicate. In general, we recommend that they be the last item you put on and the first you take off to minimize exposure to perfume and skin products.
- Avoid exposing your pearls to chemicals, direct sunlight, extreme heat, or dry atmospheres, which may cause surface cracking and other damage.
These stunning, colorful stones have been prized for millennia for their natural beauty and reputed to have spiritual properties. We use an array of responsibly sourced gemstones in our designs.
- To clean your gemstone jewelry, use tepid water and detergent-free soap, scrub lightly with a soft-bristled brush, then wipe with soft, pure cotton cloth.
- Avoid chemicals and high temperatures.
- Always ensure the piece is completely dry before storing in a safe, dry place when not worn.
- Please note, natural gemstones may have some color variance as each stone is unique.